View Single Post
Starburst 09:15 AM 04-08-2014
For the record, I have heard of both licensed and unlicensed providers scandals. Does that mean that all licensed daycares are bad? No. Does that mean all unlicensed daycares are bad? No. The reason why licensed is more reported is because the licensing agency usually does unannounced drop-ins and they get caught; that doesn't necessarily mean that unlicensed daycares never harm children. Ever heard of the movie Unspeakable Acts (1990)? It's based on a true event in the 1980s where a couple ran an unlicensed daycare; and the wife was actually still considered minor at the time (17; but she told the parents she was 23). They allegedly sexually abused children and even preformed satanic rituals (such as animal sacrifices and chanting demonic curses) in front of the children. No one had a clue until one of the older children finally spoke up and told his parents about something he saw her doing. http://articles.sun-sentinel.com/198...buse-probation. In my Child, Family, And Community class the teacher told us about 2 women from a near by city that ran an unlicensed daycare in a small 1 bedroom apartment, they had 22 infants (even with a large FCC licence in this state you can't have more than 3 or 4 under 2 and a minimum of 35 sq per child inside is required). Infant care is really hard to find and it is a low income city (poor, desperate, and most likely uneducated/uninformed parents; maybe even some without papers trying to hide out). They only charged $10 a day ($10 x 5= $50/week and $50 x 22=$1100/week). They had all the children in high chairs (which they were pretty much placed in all day) that were lined up side by side set in front of TVs and would just go down the line to feed them or change them every so often. Yes, they weren't purposely abusing the children and were providing a much needed service and just 'making money', but at the expense of the children not getting the attention or even interactions that they need and deserve.

At the state I am currently in, you can only watch for one family other than your own without a license. At the state I am moving to, the rule is up to 3 children at a time from different families; not including your own. I have considered lately trying to see if I can watch a few children with in that legal limit while I am in the process of getting licensed, but I wouldn't just let a DC parent 'talk me out of getting licensed' because they are only going to be there for a few years at most; I would be the one who has to live with the choice for the rest of my career/life. I want my business to be up to my standards and want to do everything in my power to make me feel 'official' and accomplished and that includes getting licensed. Yes, it may just be a piece of paper to some (that's also what my ex-fiance said about getting married); but it's what it stands for that gives me the confidence of a professional business owner, just as any other business would require some type of business license.

Plus, I went to an FCC orientation meeting when I went out of state for my spring break and found at they offer some grants and other incentives for becoming a registered/ certified home care, joining the quality care program (available only after being a registered provider for 2 years), and even acquiring a certain level of education and/or continuing your education. At first I was nervous about getting licensed, now I'm excited! I see my business as my baby and just like the babies I would care for, I want it to thrive to it's full potential.