View Single Post
Unregistered 09:51 AM 04-25-2012
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
first of all, I'm a regular, but I am logged out for privacy this time. You other regulars will probably recognize me anyway.

Ok, so my first post was last June about a 4 year old boy I have who was having 5+ temper tantrums a day. The word "NO" to him means "I should scream, cry, and through myself around".

It's almost a year later, and he turns five in May. Nothing has changed.

Here's an example of today:

Hey, DCB, would you like to earn a lollipop?

(no, I don't normally use food as incentive, but I needed something done, and have 2 lollipops left from Easter...so I thought it would be fun).

YEAH! eyes light up...

Ok...clean up the playroom for me (toddlers left a mess), and you will be paid in lollipops!

"Do you want help?" (I have 2 lollipops and he has a 3 year old sister). "No"

2 minutes later...."I want help"

"Ok...dcg...if you help your brother, you can earn a lollipop too!" yeah....

"NO I DONT WANT HELP!!!!!!!"

Now, it's been 15 minutes and DCG cleaned up everything while he screamed. So...dcg earned a lollipop, and he gets NUTHIN. He is still screaming I WANT A LOLLIPOP!

REALLY?

he is almost 5!

I need to make this summer as pleasant as possible for all of us (and terminated is NOT an option...there are 4 kids and they come 4 days a week over the summer for the 5 day price).

My kids, his sibs, my husband, and I are SICK TO DEATH of this behavior. I know someone must be caving at home, because there is just no payoff here. I suspect he has a tantrum, then when he is done, comes all contrite, and they give him what he wants.

He can stop these tantrums on a dime, folks. He is not out of control. He is totally in control. If I said "hey...there's a dinosaur" (or your dad, or a chocolate cake) he would stop. I've seen him do it countless times.

So....how do we make the summer tolerable? It's off to school in the fall.
it's still me...lol

I forgot to add, that the kid does not play, other than occasionally outside. Mostly, he meanders from one thing to the next, but never actually plays with anything. No rolling cars around or building block towers, coloring, or anything. He does OK with teacher led activities, but not usually for long. He follows my youngest son around (a few years older than him), which my son gets a little tired of. If he can't do that, he whines...it's like he cannot entertain himself at all....