View Single Post
Carole's Daycare 06:46 AM 01-20-2010
Originally Posted by mac60:
And then you have parents that call and say that child #1 is sick throwing up, but I am bringing child #2 to dc....hmm, why not keep them both home. Parents have an extremely hard time handling situations that we are expected to handle on a daily basis.
I have a mom who does that to me. I try to explain that illnesses are contagious and child #2 may not have symptoms yet, but since both are under 3 and suck hands/toys the child will soon, and child # 2 is bringing the germs to daycare. The sad news is she says she just can't handle both at the clinic or whatever, and technically if she paid for the day,(she pays in advance, present or absent) until the child has state guideline excludeable symptoms such as high fever etc, I can't really force her to keep him home. It's rude and inconsiderate, to other families and my own that will get it, but she doesn't see it that way.

By the way- I totally have seen the "blame the daycare" for every bug. Parents often say it, even when they know it came from an older sibling in school, or friends or family. For it to come from the daycare 1) Some idiot parent had to bring sick kids to the daycare to begin with, and 2) I too, have seen kids chewing on carts at walmart or touching toys then putting hands in mouth.
Also, at least in little girls, UTI's are caused as often by sitting in dirty bathwater at home, lack of drinking water etc. If your daycare knows you are blaming her, she may well be looking for a new family. The job is challenging enough without that.