View Single Post
Live and Learn 04:52 PM 03-02-2011
Yes...Tell the truth.

Originally Posted by nannyde:

Gotta love it.

Would you consider just telling her the truth? I know it won't make you any money so I wouldn't spend too much time on it but I don't think it hurts to say "I don't provide that service".

Cloth diapers: I don't provide that service.
Special snacks: I don't provide that service.
Parents in home during first few days: I don't provide that service.
Four child child care: I don't provide that service.
No cry: I don't provide that service.

Tell her the truth:

You use paper diapers only. You feed everyone the same snack and YOU pick the snack. You do all the transitioning of the child into care. Your goal is to have eight kids every day. You believe children should be allowed to express their feelings so you don't have a problem with them crying to express themselves.

That's really the whole of it and it doesn't hurt to tell her the truth. It's not personal. It doesn't mean that using cloth diapers, having special for snacks, parents caring for their child in your home during the transition, "no cry" isn't valuable to the parents etc.

It's OKAY for them to want it... you just don't offer it.

Tell her the truth. As boldly as she sat and said these things to you is as boldly as you can tell her what you do and don't provide.

I think providers think they are stepping on parents toes when they tell them what they do and don't provide. Believe me... Walmart doesn't have a problem telling customers they don't have Rubbermaid in stock. They decide what they offer and they don't apologize for what they choose not to do.

What she wants you don't have "in stock" and that's cool.

Ten years ago you would have NEVER had a parent tell you that they don't want their child to cry. You had parents who didn't want their kid to cry but they wouldn't have been bold enough to tell YOU that. It would have been an embarrasment. Now it's the norm.

It would be funny if it weren't so sad......

The worlds a changin ladies and it's going to come and sit on your couch. If you want to stay alive in this business you need a plan to deal with it. Saying you don't have an opening is a plan and it's the cheapest plan I know but there's a part of me that thinks it might be worth the time/money to start proudly telling them the truth.