View Single Post
Unregistered 09:54 AM 11-19-2014
I don't understand most of the posts here. People that cite to the CDC website and the Healthy Sleep Habits book (which I LOVE, by the way) are completely contradicting themselves. The original question was about a 3 and 6 year old being required to nap 2 hours. People say that is fine and required by childcare centers (in CA it is not that long). Do the math. The CDC says school age children need at least 10 hours of sleep. My 6 year old sleeps 8 to 6:30-7 every night. That is 10.5 hours. It is absurd to make him take a 2 hour nap! He is also in 1st grade so I don't know how they would fit in the state mandates requirements if he took two hours to nap. Preschool age children per CDC website need 11-12 hours. My 3 year old sleep 7:30 pm-6:30 am. He may need a short nap but I would be so angry if a preschool was making him nap 2 hours. Do the math people if a preschool is making your kid sleep 2 hours and they are preschool age that means then need 9-10 of night time sleep. So parents who say napping makes their kids stay up too late are not just full of it or disrespecting their kids sleep. Their child is probably find sleeping 9-6. It makes sense for working parents whose children have to get up super early or are picked up late and can't get to bed early, to have naps. But for other children who are getting plenty of sleep at night, they don't need a 2 hour nap.

Most people here that are defending the 2 hour day care nap work in the industry. In my opinion they just want a break and to save money because licensing allows them to drop the ratio of teachers to students during nap time.