View Single Post
My3cents 08:43 AM 02-01-2012
Originally Posted by bbo:
Oh I TOTALLY agree with that part of it. I have 2 kids on a sticker system that their mom insisted on, and I HATE it.

No, the part that I hyper-focused on was the where he suggested we are manipulating the children with our praise. I agree that we are, I just don't think that it's wrong to do it. Specifically, when it comes to behaviors.

I also agree that it's better to say "tell me about your picture" or "you used a lot of different colors" than "WOW, THIS SHOULD HANG IN THE GUGGENHEIM< YOU ARE AN AMAZING ARTIST!"...lol....
I do both so what does that make me....

I usually say, good job, I like how you used the green to make your tree so bright and lovely. Or, I might say......Your rainbow has so many colors, you did a nice job, it looks like you had fun painting such a beautiful picture and I love the birds too, Good Job I like to talk to the littles......a lot.

I see both side to this and agree with both. I say use what works best for you and your little group or big group. I don't want to be asking myself every time I say something........... should I say this or is this going to hurt the welfare of this child in his or her future.... especially if I am using positives. Good article and good points. Thanks for sharing.