View Single Post
KiddieCahoots 11:04 AM 06-25-2014
Originally Posted by Lucy:

"Already I get lots of parents complaining about how daycare makes their kids sick -- and it's absolutely true that kids in daycare are more likely to get viral illnesses than those who aren't.

But... that's not all bad. There's plenty of research these days to suggest that getting a few illnesses as a young child ends up being good for you in the long run. It helps to strengthen the immune system. And since very often we are contagious before we even realize we are sick, kids (and staff) are getting exposed anyway."
says it all.

I grew up with my mom doing DC before I was even born. She and Dad, as well as us kids, were exposed to all kinds of c.r.a.p. While I concede the fact that maybe good genes are part of the reason, I still say that it's BECAUSE of being exposed to all the c.r.a.p. that NONE of us are ones to get sick more than once every 10 years. I've done DC 20 years, and have called off twice - about 15 years apart. And only for one day each.
Not flaming you
Just saying that you and your family were lucky to have the exposure to germs work for you.
My first three were around before I did day care and are healthy as horses.
My last two that were present while I did day care, were sick when they started school, even to the point of being held back for absences, and are still always sick.
Exposure to germs can still go both ways, and think your more correct about the good genes factor, vs. that doctors article.