View Single Post
Unregistered 05:14 PM 07-31-2012
I lead a class of one year olds and we do circle time twice a day with flashcards, singing songs, and reading short books. They now know that right after snack is circle time and they run to our rug to sit down for it as soon as they finish snack. My center also teaches 3 languages including sign language. After having this particular group of kids for 2 weeks they are beginning to recognize and sign colors, more, and please. Some of the kids can also sign for water and milk when they are thirsty. Some can let me know through sign when they need a diaper change. They are eager to learn and experience the world around them and I often theme my lesson plans. One week I did bears and we colored bear pictures, read Brown Bear Brown Bear What Do You See. They love anything that they can put in their mouths without being reprimanded. For example, I sometimes let them finger paint with something edible like apple sauce or yogurt. They also love the reach and feel box. I took an empty tissue box and filled it with objects that will stimulate their senses: I have soft and rough items, sachets containing cinnamon or lemon zest (I put new ones in periodically so the lemon zest doesn't spoil), balls that bounce, rattles, etc..., and they take turns pulling items out of the box to examine. They also love when a grown-up talks to them with a puppet. They love any kind of music and most of my kids have mastered head and shoulders knees and toes. It's never too early to start teaching kids, the trick is for adults to teach the kids effectively.