View Single Post
spinnymarie 06:04 PM 08-18-2013
Originally Posted by Hunni Bee:
I had this kid, but she was 5 instead of 3.

During art, I'd ask what color paper everyone wanted to use. She'd watch all the other kids choose their paper and just sit there. I'd have to prompt her. Get scissors - same scenario. Cut, ask for glue, put your work away, clean up...she would just sit there, and if I refused acknowledge her sitting there, she'd cry. Repeat with every other activity throughout the day.

There were no delays...it was a combo of princess complex and babying parents. I had to get tough with her - you don't finish your work, you miss some of outside time til you do. You don't put on your shoes, you go outside in your socks. You don't go potty by yourself, you might have an accident.

Your girl is younger and you said she has some delays...I don't know if that's appropriate for her. I'd always ask my girl "what are you supposed to be doing now" and she'd tell me exactly - while she sat there. Can your girl do that?
I had the same kid in my kindergarten class one year -- and I agree, I finally just told her it was her choice to sit and do nothing, and we would be moving on without her - but she'd miss something she liked while finished what needed to be done. I agree, as well, that it could easily be language processing, or simply a function of child+parenting. Honestly, if she just stood in the bathroom, I'd leave her there. ANd if she tried to come out of the bathroom I'd say, have you gone to the bathroom yet? You need to go to the bathroom before you leave. Or, have you washed your hands yet? You have to wash hands before you leave.