View Single Post
Carole's Daycare 10:32 AM 09-08-2010
Originally Posted by Crystal:
I think they are both equally important. I wouldn't send my children to an elementary school or high school where the teachers do not have a degree, I see no difference with preschool.

I also think that, while experience is highly valuable, it does not necessarily equal quality.....I have met many providers with 20+ years of experience and many of them have the worst run, dirtiest and highest turnover rates of children of any programs I have ever visited....and I have visited many.

On the other hand, I have also met providers without a degree and lots of experience who run fabulous programs, and many with very little experience who start and run awesome programs.

I think it depends on the individual provider. And, I also think it depends on what the parent wants/expects in a program.

I agree. Parents get to shop around and choose a daycare that fits their family and priorities. For some, teachers with a degree and an accredited preschool curriculum is important- and some are willing to pay for it. Here in MN having a CDA or higher (2 yr degree or more) entitles you to a 10% increase in your pay through county programs, and many charge a similar rate to cash clients. That said- I have met some "teachers" that were horrible providers, and some great childcare professionals with nothing beyond High School and whatever traing and seminars they attend that were wonderful, dedicated childcare professionals. A great provider will be made even better by furthering their education and training- and someone who shouldn't work with kids will likely remain unsuitable regardless of education.