View Single Post
blessedmess8 05:28 AM 09-06-2011
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I was told this too by daycares and found out in the end it wasn't true by their definition (they were defining it outside of the state's actual definition). My child was at a daycare that didn't require children to lay down for a nap and licensing was there and viewed this and they didn't get written up. The definition of rest period is vague. Most daycares define it as taking a nap or lying on a cot and I found out why. They use this time for their personal break time or paperwork completion time and that's why they're adament about kids in their care lying down to rest. When they get distracted by a child who doesn't sleep during nap, they get pretty irritated because they don't get their paperwork done during work hours. Or they can't sit on this forum and type post replies to their buddies during nap time. Chidren simply need to be having a rest period - call your local licensing agency to find out exactly how that should be defined for your state - even sitting down reading books or coloring quietly at a table is considered rest time in our state - bet you didn't know that! I didn't until a year ago and my child and I are MUCH happier for it. There are rules governing disinfecting toys. From what I gather, most daycares ignore those rules and only really disinfect those toys when there's a major sickness going around like strep or the flu or something like that, otherwise, it doesn't generally get done per the schedule the state sets. Nothing much you can do there, because not a single daycare we've been at it disinfected according to our state's requirements.
Just to put your mind at ease, our state doesn't have rules about how often we have to disinfect, but the center I worked at before this disinfected toys daily in the infant and toddler rooms are disinfected daily and the older rooms were on a schedule where each center was disinfected weekly. And if we hadn't had nap time, we coldnt have gotten the cleaning done. Now that I am a home provider, I try to disinfect once a week. Not all daycares are bad!!