View Single Post
Preschool/daycare teacher 05:50 PM 05-17-2011
My advice is to talk to your son, like another poster mentioned, at a time you're not getting ready to bring him to daycare, and not right after picking him up either. I would also talk to the provider and see if she has any advice, or ideas of why he's acting like that all of a sudden. Last year we had a 4 yr old girl who started doing this to her mom. She'd cry at drop off, and all that, but always before she'd been happy coming in, and happy leaving. But they went on vacation or something (I don't remember exactly what now), but anyway, after all that one on one time, she didn't want it to end. So she clung to her mom her first day back, her mom gave her attention, since she was concerned over her not wanting to come, and pretty soon it was an every day thing. The girl kept receiving attention, she heard her mom talking about it to her Grandma, etc, so was the center of attention for this. This continued for a little while, with everyone wondering why she was "afraid" to come to daycare all of a sudden. I'm pretty sure her mom was considering moving her somewhere else. Well one day we were taking a walk with all the children and the little girl started talking about how she cried when her mom dropped her off (as if she was proud of it) and how she would get a shake at McDonalds that afternoon when her mom picked her up. To find out about it, her mom had been getting her a shake at McDonalds each afternoon after the girl had cried that morning! We mentioned it to her mom at pick up, and she quit getting her the shakes, and allowing the drop-off to drag on, giving her attention for crying, etc, and pretty soon there were no more tears at drop off. And now this year, she comes happily, and isn't ready to leave when it's time. So, my whole point with that is to say make sure you're not giving your son anything special after a rough drop-off, and no extra attention for it. Make the drop offs really really quick for a few days and see what happens. If he still cries about coming, it is possible he's bored, or there may be another child there who may not be the nicest to him, or possibly it's related to the behavior problems and whatever is causing those. If the behavior is the same wherever he goes, I really think it might be connected to it, and not the daycare specifically. But again, he could just be bored and need a more preschool based atmosphere. A lot of home daycares focus mainly on preschoolers, and accept 2-5 year olds (like our's). If you could find somewhere like that, he'd still have the small group situation, and would still be able to be with his brother also. Plus, next school year, he'd be getting daycare and preschool at the same price you pay for daycare alone right now. Good luck! I hope things are figured out soon for you!