View Single Post
Texasjeepgirl 08:29 PM 10-24-2011
Wow.. I recieved an email with new posts .. and this was one of the threads that had new posts.. I realize the ORIGINAL post was over a year ago...but..
I feel compelled to reply to this..
I too have had the experience of NEIGHBORS...

I've been a HOME CHILD CARE PROVIDER for over 19 years now.
I'm in Texas (as per my username)...
I started my career as a REGISTERED home in 1992.. ..
In 1993 I moved to a new .. larger home.. about 1 block from a junior college... and in a nice brick neighborhood.. My home was the OLD HOUSE... the others were all new... I was next door to the cardiologist.. across the street from a dentist.. and a family physician for our town..
I knew them all in one way or another.. .and.. assumed that everyone was 'nothing' but pleased with my arrival in the neighborhood.
I had a nice reputation .. I'd kept the City Manager's child.. and I was well know in our community.. so I thought it was all peaches and roses..
At the time.. I was UNAWARE of the requirement for me to have a SPECIFIC USE PERMIT... but..3 years after moving in to the neighborhood..... I was keeping the COUNTY ATTORNEY'S secretary's child.....she kindly informed me that I needed to apply for the permit..
I sent in the application..
and.. a few days later.. the City Manager...ALSO part time daycare customer.. called me to 'put the bug in my ear' that some of my neighbors had called to complain.
Here's how it works.
I filled out SPECIFIC USE PERMIT APPLICATION.. and... mailed it in with a fee..
Then.. they send out letters to all my neighbors..within a certain number of feet from my property line.. in all directions.

Apparently the neighbors weren't as thrilled with me as I thought they were...
I had been there for over 3 years.. I'd kept the Cardiologists child as a drop in.. I'd kept several other of the neighbors children.. or GRAND children..
but.. apparently there were a few that didn't enjoy me being there...
Luckily.. I had one specific neighbor (the dentist's wife) that was thrilled for me to be there.. and.. she came to the ZONING meeting.. and spoke in my defense..
One neighbor was upset about my 'plastic' toys in the front yard..
I explained that although we normally had all the toys in the back yard.. behind the privacy fence.. we had been doing some construction in the back yard (building a new patio area and awning for shade) so I had moved a few things to the front yard for the kids..... but.. Pointed out to this person.. I had a 6 year old.. and a 2 year old.. those 'plastic toys' were not only my daycare toys..they were also MY OWN children's toys...and whether I had a daycare.. or NOT.. those toys would be in my yard...
Long story short.. I got the permit..
A few years later... I moved...
I applied for...and recieved.. another SPECIFIC USE PERMIT...
I ran my daycare in that location a few years...then my husband and I sold that home..
I applied for another permit.. at next address...
and.. got that one with no problem also..

Then.. in 2007.. I moved my daycare in to my mother-in-laws home..
It's sort of a long story of WHY...but..
I wasn't worried..
My MIL had a nice brick home.... large.. formal living .. and DEN...I asked to use the DEN for my daycare room.. and offered to pay property taxes...and home owners insurance.. or utilities...
anyway.. I open on Monday.. and.. on Friday.. The City calls..
says.. we have information that you are running a daycare at this address..
I say .. yes.. I just moved here Monday.. he said.. well..I'm sure you are aware you need a SPECIFIC USE PERMIT.. I said...yes.. I am completely aware... I always apply for..an recieve my permit..well..
suffice it to say.. this time..
It didn't go too smooth.

The next door neighbor.. lady in her later 50's..living with a room mate..
she worked at the bank.. with my friend.. she was NOT EVEN HOME during business hours.. but... she made up her mind.. she did NOT want my daycare next to HER... I sent out letters.. introducing myself.. telling them how many years I'd been in business...that I was a small home.. that I kept 12 children.. or less.. and that I had a good reputation...and great references with such persons as the City Manager.. the Mayor's grand daughter... the City Attorney's assistant's child...etc..
and that I was glad to take calls.. emails.. letters.. addressing any concerns they might have with me being in the neighborhood...
Meanwhile.. I watched from the window as the next door neighbor knocked on doors...and pointed across the street toward where I was...
I did NOT get that permit..