View Single Post
kitykids3 12:22 PM 12-07-2012
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I agree that if they fall asleep they needed it, or fell asleep from boredom of not being engaged by the preschool teacher, I did ask before I enrolled my son was told he did not have to sleep but had to be quiet during this time, ok fine. Since he started I struggle every nite to get him to fall asleep he is still awake very late, come to find out he is sleeping for 2+ hours everyday. No wonder I can't get him down at a decent time. We were spoiled at his previous school, Holy Cross rocked! But we had to move out of state, I'm talking to them tomorrow about these 2 hour naps at his new school, we may be on the search for a new place.
Which one? The 3 yr old or 6 year old.
I don't force a kid to nap - you can't make them sleep. However we do lay down on our mats for 2-3 hours, from approximately 12:30-3. All my kiddos are under 5 and sleep for 2+ hours on their own. Schoolagers I have had in past usually don't, but I do have them rest for a half hour. If they are still awake, then they can get up and do something quiet.
Those 2 hours of nap are needed for most kids under 5. Occasionally I have had some 4 year olds grow out of them, but if your 3 year old is sleeping, then let him sleep.
If it is disrupting night time sleep, then talk with the provider about it. It is standard for 2+ hour nap for 3 year olds. Personally I am curious as to what you are considering 'late' as far as bedtime. I would not be waking my 3 year olds up after 45 minutes. Communication with your provider is best for your child. Perhaps you both can experiment a little.
Also, although I allow it (with notification), visiting during naptime is very disruptive and I would not be happy with it either. Why would you be making unannounced stops during naptime? If you feel the need to check up, then you need to work it out with your provider or move on. I would not want clients feeling they needed to make unannounced visits just to check up on things here. You've got to be able to trust your provider and vice versa.

ETA: 2 hours IS standard for under 5. I let them get up after a half hour if awake. That has never happened with a 3 yr old with me, but 'quiet time' if still awake is standard too.