View Single Post
Angelwings36 01:48 PM 03-29-2011
Originally Posted by Lisa4kids:
I'm having a problem deciding what to do about a situation. I ahve been caring for two children for the last 5 years... the youngest was 6 months old when they enrolled. I've become very attached to the children and their family over the years. I'm feeling like they have been taking advantage of me for the last 2 years since the youngest started pre-school.

Two years ago, I changed my rates from hourly to daily and the mother did not want to sign my new contract because she didn't want to pay for when the children were not at my home. I agreed because i didn't want to loose these children, but now i'm rethinking things. Whenever school is out (like spring break now) the mom always has either cousins or a teenager come to town to watch the kids so she doesn't have to pay for daycare. She NEVER gives me advance notice, i always ask 2 weeks in advance and she waits until the night before they should be attending saying they wont be here, but sorry if it is an inconvenience to me.... I find it hard to believe she is really sorry. The last two summers, the kids have been in attandance 4 full weeks out of 13 each summer...without notice until the last minute.

It has made me start thinking that I need to tell her that this summer, i am only taking full time children and she'll have to pay..... she will definately take her kids out of care. But this is my income and only receive $20 per week for both children right now and about $80 per week for summer (when they are here)... that is holding up 2 full time spots where i could be making $250 for two children. I'm not sure really what to do but i'm getting to the point where i dont want to deal with it anymore. I feel like i'm being run around by her and feeling like she does not care this is my income even though i've told her a few times over the years.

Has anyone else had a problem like this and does anyone have any advise for me??
You have to remember to put your business first. You need to be firm with your policies and procedures regardless of it you feel it's going to cause problems with the other party...right now they are causing problems for you and do not seem to be concerned about it. I would draw up a new contract. State that the parent pays regardless of if their child attends or not and stick with it. I'm sure you will be able to pick up a new client to fill their space if it came down to that and you will have less of a headache in the end!