View Single Post
Little People 05:34 AM 01-29-2011
Originally Posted by QualiTcare:
that link didn't work for me. everything i've found on the website says a license is required for anyone who keeps 5 children and that includes related children under a certain age (either 9 or 10). i found a statement which i posted on the other thread where this was mentioned: Family Child Care Homes provide care for at least five but not more than seven children. Children under ten years of age, who are related to the caregiver, must be included in the total number.

http://www.tn.gov/humanserv/adfam/cctype.html

Little People (a registered user) said she spoke with someone who said she could keep 4 related children and 4 unrelated children. That doesn't match up with what's on the website either.

here's another statement i found on that site. "The Department of Human Services has the legal responsibility for licensing
homes, that provide child care for 5-7 children."

http://www.tn.gov/humanserv/adfam/cc/FAMSUMJun09.pdf

this document was as of June 2009. i wonder if something has changed, and if it has - i think it would be good to have an employee verify the information in an email so it's in writing if you are keeping more than 4 children without a license.

Here's more info:

Examples of child care which do not require licensure ;

•Care provided in a child's own home
•Program which operate no more than 2 days a week
•Occupational Child Care/Teen Parenting Labs
•Summer Day Camps
•Programs which operate less than three hours a day
•Boys and Girls Clubs
Programs which care for four or fewer children

T.C.A. § 71-3-503 Programs and
Facilities Exempt from Licensing.
Tennessee Code Annotated
Here is who I called:
District 8 Office: Memphis
170 North Mail Street, 8th Floor
Memphis, TN 38103-9987
PHONE: 901-543-7954
Fax: 901-543-6470

I called and they TOLD me that I could have 4 unrelated and 4 related, again I ask her 2 times and she chuckled when I ask her again. I also had Tom Copeland call my district.

QualiTcare, I don't know if it is because we are in different districts, but I have called and this is what they told me. I have included their fax number if you would like to send them a fax. All I can say is I want to run LEGAL and I have made the call to district 8 and so has Tom.