Thread: Handbook Help
View Single Post
Chuckles 08:31 PM 11-04-2013
I know I am a little late to this post, but hopefully you still see it. I am assuming you are a child care home and based my input on that. If you are a center I have no problem providing feedback on that.
This is a required policy, but it is a required document that I did not see mentioned.
- Health statements. The rules allow parents to sign for a year; however, you must have a doctor’s note within the first year of enrollment. I think it is best to ask for the doctor’s note up front so you don’t forget.
- If you are licensed, four year olds in care are subject to the hearing and vision test requirements.
I don’t know what the child care need is in your area. Based on the several programs listed, I would just caution you to watch your ratios so you don’t accidentally overbook yourself with part time children and drop ins.
Your schedule outline does not include afternoon outdoor play. The rules require that children have outdoor play twice daily, once in the am and once in the pm as weather permits. Child care homes are required to have a posted schedule like centers, but if you were a center with hours 7a-7p, what do children do between 7-745am and 5-7pm?
As previously noted, the discipline policy as written is concerning. I recommend including the section from the rules about discipline. One of the rules states that you cannot use corporal punishment or threats of corporal punishment. If you are calling parents to have them come discipline their children, and the parent believes in physical discipline, you could be finding yourself in an uncomfortable situation. Furthermore, if you allow parents to spank their children at your home, children may not be able to distinguish between you spanking them or the parent spanking them if someone asks them what happens when they get in trouble at day care.
Part of your medication policy is a direct violation of the Texas standards. Medication can only be administered for the child it was intended for. This means you cannot purchase your own medicine to dispense to children with parent permission. The only time this is acceptable is in the event of an emergency. I would also recommend specifying to parents that you will only administer medication according to label instructions. Many parents will try to provide medicine that is not age appropriate or that requires a doctor’s note for the age of their child. Please check the labels carefully!
Sick care- I think the state temperature is 100 underarm, not 100.4. It used to be 99.4.
I believe the emergency policy is supposed to include additional information. I believe the steps are, call 911 or take child to the ER, administer first aid or cpr if required, contact the child’s parent, and then ensure the supervision of the other children in the group.
I don’t know if you have a different emergency preparedness plan somewhere else, but the emergency drill section listed in the policies does not begin to cover the required information.
The information posted did not include procedures for parents to contact the local licensing office and abuse hotline or how parents can review the most recent inspection report or a copy of the minimum standards.