View Single Post
Josiegirl 03:48 AM 04-09-2017
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
During the interview I give parents a copy of my handbook to read through. I go over the policies I want to highlight (illness, payments, termination, etc) and they can ask questions or clarifications.
That's pretty much the way I do it too. Mine isn't all that lengthy so I don't have an index or anything like that. But I do love that idea!! That way you can add in every single fine point you can think of and direct them to the right page quickly. When a potential dcf calls with interest, I'll briefly ask them what their needs are, then tell them whether or not I have any openings to fit their requests. If so, I'll set up an appointment with them outside of dc hours. I have a folder filled with goodies to present to them, articles about messiness, parental involvement, choosing home daycare versus centers, an introduction letter telling a little about me, a sample menu, contract, a schedule we use(very flexible I might add Lol) AND the ta-da handbook. I show them around my dc. Then we sit down to talk about their philosophies, my philosophies, go over some of the main components of the handbook. Then I tell them it's very important to go home, talk about it, visit other daycares/centers and see what's best for them. They're allowed to keep the whole folder no matter what they decide. I know some providers would go at that because it's extra paper/ink used but to me, that's minor compared to all the other expenses this job entails.

I would LOVE to create an online presence for all of this stuff to be accessible but it would require upkeep, consistency and time. None of which I have or am good at.