View Single Post
iheartkids 11:16 AM 11-03-2011
Gosh, I guess I don't think too "deeply" about it. I don't think there is any psycological reason as far as "power" and "control". I just think of it as the child can't control their excitement to see mom and dad, they're upset if you are doing something fun and they have to leave, they're deflating from the stimulation of daycare, and they want their parents attention and this "production" gets it for them. I remember doing this as a TEENAGER after spending the night at a friends house. I would come home and just be a BEAR to my parents. And my DD does the exact same thing when she comes home from a friends house.
If we are around snack time when they get picked up a simple, "want a cracker for the road?" usually gets them out quietly. If the parent is hanging around chatting and the kids are acting up I do correct them in front of the parent because it embarrasses them and kicks them into the "parent gear" so that they will start correcting them. If you let them jump on your couch while they are here then they will think you let them jump on it while they are gone. Kids always want attention...that's the bottom line.