View Single Post
MarinaVanessa 09:57 AM 11-30-2011
Originally Posted by wdmmom:
Can babies be allergic to breast milk???
Yes and although sometimes it's because of the mom's diet I know that it's not always the case. I hope that in ths case it is and then all mom has to do is figure out what's causing it and then not eat whatever that is. Unfortunately however DR's are sometimes quick to say "Oh, it's this" instead of really taking the time to try to figure out what is causing it.

In my case my son was BF and he is actually lactose intolerant. He was 5mo old and all of a sudden he began spitting up all of the time. Dr said it was colic and that he was gassy. Well duh he's gassy, his tummy is hard, he has the runs, he farts all of the time and he spits up constantly. It doesn't take a PHD to tell me what I already know.

I took our baby back a month later after no change and DR said it was something that I was eating. Really? I don't eat the same things every day and this is happening every day. But he was the DR so DH went out and bought formula and guess what? No change.

Finally I went out and just bought soy formula and then guess what? We saw an immediate change almost overnight. Even now that he's 1 we still give him soy formula in a sippy with a straw, not in a bottle (believe it or not buying soy formula is cheaper than buying soy milk) and he's fine. My cousin unknowingly gave him ice-cream and he got the runs.

My DD on the other hand also had colic as a baby and that was rectified simply by switching her to DR Brown's bottles.

To make a long story short, you won't know what the real problem is unless DCM tries a few different things first to see what helps.