View Single Post
missnikki 04:25 PM 03-29-2011
Originally Posted by morgan24:
When I first started out I had the same thing happen to me with a family that I loved their boys. I decided I either needed to run my daycare as a business or do it for fun and not let it bother me that they didn't want to pay when they weren't here. I decided that I would like to stay in the business to make a living. I wrote up a new contract and handed it out and stuck to my guns that I'm a business and that's how I had to treat it from then on. Of course they gave me notice but it bit them in the butt because they couldn't find someone that would let they only pay for the time they were there. They wanted to come back. I had already filled their spots.

I would write up a new contract now and get it to them before summer. That puts the ball in their court and they can decide what's best for them. Then if they give you notice you can fill the spots now.
This is similar to what I was thinking.

It sounds like you had started on a casual basis. I think in order to make the transition to 'professional provider' from 'casual babysitter', you need to do a couple of things to show them you are serious.

1) Come up with a name/logo/ policies handbook for your program. Print off cards, flyers, etc.

2) Use the logo on a letterhead explaining your rates as of ____, 2011. Give them the letter, and explain that you are advertising for the spots currently. Give them the "first chance" of full time at those rates. Tell them you will be interviewing and will fill the spots once you have received a deposit.

3) They will huff and haw, and drag their feet leaving if they don't pull out immediately. Either way, trust me when I say this...You will be very glad they are gone (unless they wised up and paid you what you are worth).

4) Stay positive! The best programs had to start somewhere!