View Single Post
PitterPatter 01:05 PM 02-25-2012
Originally Posted by Mary Poppins:
Ack! I'm really kicking myself for not being a "well child only" daycare from the beginning!!!

Most of my dcp's seemed appreciative that I was willing to take their kids "mildly sick" and a few even told me they felt other dc's were too strict about illnesses. Once upon a time, I agreed with that philosophy and felt it was asking too much for parents to stay home from work or find alternative care every time their little ones had the sniffles or sneezes.

The problem is, we have been sick NONSTOP since October now, despite my best efforts to stop the spread of germs here. It is horrible for myself, my family and my dcks.

So I want to change my policy but not sure how to approach it with my dcfs or if I should even bother. To be honest, knowing how they feel, many of them would probably just medicate and send their kids to me anyway, which would cause it's own set of problems.

I know I brought this on myself, just not sure how to remedy it.

Any advice?
Well I take sniffles and sneezes to an extent. Constant runny noses being wiped everywhere go home. Just depends on each child and how they can manage their cold symptoms. Cold and flu season is almost over so if you really are concerned about causing a problem and think they will just medicate and send anyway then I would wait a bit. Get all my ducks in a row a good contract amendment that cover EXACTLY what you want so they can't find loopholes then make an amendment and have everyone sign off that they received it. Make sure to say things to point out the positive aspcet of your decision like,

When caring for an ill child, the ability to provide high quality care to all of the other children is jeopardized.

and to cover your fear of medication before daycare call them on it before they try it...

Please do not give your child Tylenol or Advil to mask a fever so they appear able to attend daycare. Please keep other children well by keeping an ill child at home.

This may help cover your current fears.

Good luck!