View Single Post
QualiTcare 10:19 AM 10-15-2010
Originally Posted by Fro:
Bottle nipples acctually make the milk easier to get than moms nipples. If you cut the nipple wider, it may cause him to choke a bit. When a baby is breastfeeding, they are able to control the flow of milk (unless mom has a strong let down) and they cant control the flow of milk as easily with a bottle.
My daughter never really took a bottle except on a rare occation, but the only way to get her to drink when she needed to, was to wait until she was pretty much asleep and use a very slow flow nipple that made her work for the milk a bit.
You can also use a small medicine cup to feed him, just put a little milk in it and feed him like you would a regular cup. Just raise the level of milk to touch his top lip, and he should drink. Its slow, but thats what they do with some premies that have trouble nursing.
Other than that, if he gets hungry, he will eat. If he doesnt eat well for you, he may start cluster feeding at home, which is completely normal and healthy. just irritating to mom.
well, not if they won't latch onto the nipple. when i introduced the bottle to my daughter, i tried just the regular clear, plastic nipple that most bottles have with the 3 little tiny holes. she'd try to latch on and end up just shaking her head around and then screaming her head off because it felt so different i assume. i started using that brown nipple and the bag/drop ins so i could squirt a little milk in her mouth to tempt her. she'd latch onto that nipple with no problem bc it was soft/flexible instead of the regular nipples that don't change shape.