View Single Post
ritah 05:12 PM 09-08-2011
Originally Posted by nannyde:
I feed babies that age about an hour before I lay them down. They finish about 45 minutes before they go to bed.

Right after they eat they go into an upright bouncy seat for about twenty minutes and then right before nap they do about 25 minutes of belly time to play toys.

I would STOP feeding her right before she sleeps. Newborns to age about four months for that... then as they go from four to six months start moving the feeding away from nap time so that you can get a GOOD amount of upright time post bottle... then belly time before they go to sleep. They will usually poop after about twenty minutes from eating... then they do the belly time to work out the wilys.

Don't associate the bottle with nodding off to sleep. Put her to bed WIDE awake into a pitch black dark room.

She can have a full two to two and a half hour nap before she needs to feed again. That would be 3 to 3.5 hours in between feedings.... That is great for a baby this age.

She's having WAY too much bottle before she goes to sleep. One six to eight ounce bottle started an hour before you put her down. If she nods off during the bottle STOP feeding her... have her sit upright... till she is WIDE awake and then start feeding again. NO lulling to sleep.
I completely agree with this! My daughter and all the babies I've taken care of over the years have an eat, play, sleep cycle - meaning they eat right after they get up, then play and then go down for a nap. They don't go to sleep while eating. In an eat, sleep, play cycle, most babies will nod off to sleep while eating and, therefore, not get enough to eat to sustain them through a good nap. Of course, it helps if the parents are on board with this and do the same thing at home. And, of course, they don't do this for middle of the night feedings - just during the day.