View Single Post
mom2many 07:41 PM 08-14-2011
Originally Posted by sharlan:
Interesting, licensing has never asked about my homeowner's insurance. I have Farmer's and my agent keeps telling me that I'm covered for the daycare. I even watched his dd years ago.
Since 1995, I have had analysts ask me to show "proof of my home owner's insurance". I have been licensed since 1986 and there was a form (lic 282) that was titled "AFFIDAVIT REGARDING LIABILITY INSURANCE FOR FAMILY DAYCARE HOME" that needed to be signed, if you did NOT carry liability insurance, because the law stated you must have this or a bond in the amount of $300,000 annually.

I never had this signed, because I always carried home owners and this didn't apply to me. However, in 1995 the analyst asked for "proof of our home owners insurance policy" and actually took copies of the policy. This was indeed something new that I'd never experienced before.

It could be just our county...it is very apparent that CA is extremely inconsistent in their requirements! Since then, I have always kept proof of my home owners insurance policy with all of the other necessary paperwork for licensing in a file, when they come out.

It was several years ago that my agent advised me that the normal home owners insurance policy we had was not sufficient and suggested getting the Umbrella Policy for extra coverage.

I do know that many other insurance companies will not cover the liability for home daycare, because we shopped around to find one that worked for us.