View Single Post
Meeko 11:31 AM 03-28-2011
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
You know almost all employers require that their employees submit to a drug test and even random drug testing, so as a parent, though I am a private employer, I am still an employer and my children are the most important product no matter what. Why shouldn't I be able to drug test my babysitter or nanny? I was searching for information about the subject, because my husband and I are both in the Military and I think as long as I state my intentions in the interview and have the babysitter sign a consent form it is my right as a parent to want the best for my children while I'm at work. I did find a website that had some useful information for parents and even helped my find a full time babysitter as i just became resigned to a new base. It also provided me with a website to download a basic consent form and really good information about drug testing.
You can just never be to careful

You, like many others have this notion that you are your day care provider's employer. You are not. (Unless you take care of all their tax requirements.. supply a W2 etc?)

If you use a child care provider in their home...you are NOT their employer! They are self-employed. They are their own boss.

All they do is offer a service, which you are free to purchase if you wish. But it comes according to HER dictates.

It is HER home. HER rules. The point of an interview is for BOTH parties to see if the arrangement will be a good fit. She is interviewing YOU too! I interview several parents for the same spot and then choose the one I want in my day care. I am choosing a client...not an employer!

If you want to be an employer, get a nanny to come to YOUR home and make sure you take care of all the employer tax requirements.