View Single Post
Blackcat31 07:39 AM 09-14-2013
Originally Posted by lovemylife:
I can understand to some degree why providers expect a doctors note from parents to return to daycare. But I don't require it. I do have in my contract that if I feel a doctors note is necessary then one must be provided before the child can return to my care. So far I have never had to use that part of my contract, which I am grateful for! My daughter was in daycare the first 9 months of her life. Her daycare provider require a doctors note every time she was sick. As an infant this happened about once a month. Which is normal for an infant. Our copay is $50 for an office visit! So we spent roughly $400 to get a doctors note for each cold. Granted one time she did have gastrointestinal flu which required hospitalization. That I completely understand needing a doctors note!!!!
Wow! that is really sad.... and ALOT of money spent unnecessarily.

I have a pretty strict (?) illness policy but the guidelines differ GREATLY for kids under 15 months.

I try really hard to apply each child's individuality to my rules.

I require a doctor's note but ONLY for things that are long lasting and/or contagious.

Common colds are COMMON but that doesn't mean I have to accept a child who continually wipes snot on EVERYTHING....this is where the individual circumstances come into play.

For me, when it comes to mild ailments and colds, exclusion is entirely based on my knowledge of the situation, the child's ability to manage the illness, including behavior and the parents attention to the matter.