View Single Post
Blackcat31 08:45 AM 11-11-2013
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I do go over it all during the interview. My interview is at least an hour. Typically up to 2 hours. I am overly informative about all my rules, ways of operating my daycare and our routine. Often, the parents will tell me how they are at home and I tell them on the interview how I will handle that situation at daycare. For example they will tell me the child is allowed to eat and drink whenever they want. So I will tell them on the interview that their child will get food and drink only at meal time here and then the food and drink will be picked up and they have to wait for the next meal to be served. Except when it is really hot and we are outside, then I allow them water throughout the time we are outside and when we come back inside we get a drink.

But even though we discuss everything at the interview, when the child is going through the adjustment period getting used to my way vs. the parents way, the parents get mad and won't give the child or themselves the time needed to adjust.
Call them out on it.

"Sally, this is all stuff we discussed during the interview. ALL things you said you understood and agreed to. I am not understanding what the issue is now?"

Then leave the ball in their court. IF they continue to complain, offer them two choices.....find care that will cater to their needs or you will happily raise their rate so you can hire an assistant to meet their requests.

Interviewing definitely helps weed out the ones who aren't a good fit but a lot of them (especially the ones who agree but then don't do it) slip through and in those cases, you really just have to be upfront and open...

I do that by calling them out on what they agreed to and are now complaining about.

I also ask them for a solution...I NEVER offer one myself.

The minute they say "well give him food whenever he wants" I say, "Sure! But I'll have to hire someone to supervise the other kids who want their own special schedule too and that means raising rates for everyone. I'll do this tomorrow okay?"

If raising rates is ALWAYS the answer, you'll be amazed at how fast they begin to see things from your perspective and adjust.