View Single Post
Blackcat31 12:07 PM 10-15-2013
Originally Posted by Willow:
According to my vets and the reseach I've personally done, giving a dog Benadryl pre-vaccination is pretty ill advised as well as being counter productive. One of my dogs gets a giant dose of of dexamethasone before his vaccines only because he's severely allergic to the preservatives in them....but like the active ingredient in Benadryl it's an immunosuppressant.....which can to an extent, if not entirely, lessen the efficacy of the vaccination.

Same goes for children. Giving them Benadryl beforehand could almost completely defeat the purpose of giving the shots at all.

I think it's entirely overused and abused by many people on a daily basis. I'd go so far as to agree with Nan that they, along with childrens anti-inflammitories, should become monitored prescrption medications just like cold remedies with pseudoepedrine in them are. People
today are a combination of overly paranoid (using them for everything), overly confident (thinking they are doctors capable of self diagnosis and treatment) or are just plain stupid, not taking the time to research and administer them properly.

Living beings are dying everyday. It's a freaking epidemic.

It is NOT well enough studied for use as a sedative in ANY circumstance, doc advised or not.
I had never heard of the Benedryl thing for dogs either until I googled Bendryl and immunizations....that's all the popped up, one dog forum after another about giving it to dogs..

I can't say I'd be willing to give it my dog or cat.

I don't dispense meds here in care but I will allow a parent to give their child something for pain, (for teething etc) PROVIDED they let me know before dropping off and they fill out a form stating why they gave it, when they gave it and who dispensed it.

Had a DCM yesterday bring her (newly turned) 3 yr old in and ask for the med log. I asked why and she said she gave her Benedryl because she seemed a little stuff and had a slight cough.

I told her Benedryl is NOT for kids under 6. Mom says "Well, I know that. That's why I only gave "M" half a dose."

Worst part is DCM is in nursing school for her RN.... she should KNOW better than to simply assume cutting a dose in half is appropriate.

I sent DCM and DCK home. I am NOT willing to care for a child given a dose of anything NOT for them.

DCM tried to tell me Dr said it was ok. When I asked when and to bring proof,...DCM says "Well.... a while ago my nephew's Dr said to do that and he is the same age."

I was NOT a happy camper and told DCM I was going to document this conversation and that in the future if I became aware of this, I would report her.