View Single Post
snbauser 10:15 AM 02-01-2012
I love the article. I try to not say "good job" very often. I try to focus on the actual task or something specific. I am working on getting my teachers to do the same. We have one girl (a 4 y/o) in particular here that is an "all about me" child. She is an only child at home and is daddy's little princess and is treated as such. She is so used to getting praised on everything she does that she can't do anything without it. A perfect example was the heartbroken look on her face one day last week. The kids were at the table with paper and markers. She drew a picture and asked the little boy next to her "Isn't my picture beautiful?" His response - "no, I don't like it." Her response "Ms. Sonya, C says he doesn't like my picture." Now granted his response may not have been nice, but he is 4 too. And not everyone is going to like everything she does. I told her that it didn't matter if C liked her picture. I asked her if she liked it. She said yes, and I told her that was all that mattered. It's moments like this that really make you see how constant praise can do more harm than good.