View Single Post
SilverSabre25 09:16 PM 12-10-2010
First--how scary!! I'm glad it turned out okay.

Second--what great parents!

Third--Based on what you have said about her behavior, I am wondering if there's some ADHD, ASD (high-functioning, Aspergers or PDD-NOS or something), or something more serious going on--the kinds of things that kids can't help and parents can't help and usually can't be detected until the child gets older. Since she does have such great, supportive parents who seem to really, truly trust you, I would consider bringing it up--document some of the things you've mentioned here, and ask them to schedule a kid-free conference, and ask them if they've noticed any of the same things and if they are at all concerned. Let them know that you are really, truly concerned and want to see that she gets the help she needs, if she needs any.

I understand your wanting the parents to come to that conclusion, but honestly, we as daycare providers see many, many children and we sometimes have a better idea of "normal" than parents have--and your saying something might be the confirmation they've been looking for. I see it on a parenting message board all the time--parents saying that they wish with all their heart that the teacher/child care provider/whoever would have said something sooner, would have mentioned the concerns, would have pointed out the problem.