View Single Post
pandamom 06:27 AM 04-13-2014
zombie post!

The original post was from 2008. Now the Air Force CDC's allow you to have your child attend from open to close. The one I worked at was open 12 hours a day.

We did have some single or dual military families that needed care longer than that because of work obligations. They would:

-pick their child up and bring them in to their work so they could finish. May not be feasible with most jobs

-hired a part-time nanny who would pick child up on days needed and care for child until parent comes home

-hire a CDC worker to take the child home with them until parent could pick up. I had coworkers who would even watch children for the week while parent was TDY.

-some were lucky enough to have family or close friends around to watch children

-I saw some people pull their child out of CDC care and hire an in-home nanny if they worked long/crazy hours.

Unfortunately there isn't a way out of long hours. That's why the military has you do a family care plan if you are single or dual military. That way you have a plan for all eventualities including both military members being deployed/gone at the same time.

I remember when DH and I were dating there was a married couple that would take turns deploying in the high tempo shop. So for 2 years they only saw each other as the other was either coming back or leaving for deployment. But this enabled at least one parent to be with their child at all times. That was the main factor in me separating from the Army- I did not want that to happen to us.