Thread: Markers
View Single Post
nannyde 07:43 AM 09-11-2011
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Nan~ Although we do the marker thing a bit differently, (because of our different set ups) you did reinforce a few of my points:

"I don't deal with the cap and return thing with markers much because we have an adult sitting there when they are using them"
I do not have an additional adult to be the marker police.

"I start them at three with them. Any earlier and we have to be too involved in monitoring the caps for mouthing and them coloring the table, their clothes, and themselves. I have them do it when they are old enough to understand that we want paper marking only."
Another reason I do not make markers available to kids under three without DIRECT supervision.

"..and her Mom will get her going on them"
Yes, parents can initial plenty of skills with their child. I prefer the role of supporter in many areas.

"They have at least five waking hours a day with their parents"
Which is a good deal of time to be able to experience the marker learning under the direct supervision of a parent. When the skill is mastered, then they get free access while at my house.
Yup... sounds like it's pretty similiar.

I wouldn't consider having them out all the time. I like to have stuff like that be special so when we do it they are all over it. We have SO much stuff here that we can have something different all the time. I like that system better. The stuff they have access to every day are things that require no adult other than general play supervision.