Thread: Markers
View Single Post
MissAnn 03:09 PM 09-11-2011
Originally Posted by Crystal:
My children have access to ALL materials as soon as they strt walking. I redirect to have them use materials appropriately. BUT, when it is constant, then they lose privileges. From THAT, they learn that they WANT to take care of the materials so that they can use them again. I teach ppreciation and responsibility by taking things before they ruin them, because I don't wanna be wasteful and keep replacing materials that cost me money.
This is similar to what I do in my program. I have children ages 3-5 and all materials are out. They become very responsible. They get out what they want to do, and put away when they are done. They know beyond a doubt that playdough stays on the table and we do not mix colors. They know where crayons go and they know not to dump......and if they spill them....they pick them up. These are life skills. I feel these skills are an important part of preschool (My program is a preschool program), just as important as ABC's and 123's. Kids are so much more capable than what we give them credit for at times.

I loved the idea of the individual sets of markers. I wanted to buy pencil boxes at Walmart, but I could not find any. Instead I bought a pencil holder that you put in a binder. Can't remember what they are called right now! They are clear and I will put their names on each one. Natural consequences will occur if they do not take care of their property.

So....we'll see how it goes!