Thread: Markers
View Single Post
Crystal 05:42 PM 09-11-2011
Nanny:

I have ALL materials out....markers, crayons,pencils, paper, play dough, paint, collage supplies, glue, scissors, blocks and accessories, science materials, math and manipulative materials, dramatic play materials EVERYTHING within reach of my walkers. We are actively involved throughout the day in facilitating their work/play and I am completely comfortable allowing my children opportunities to use materials as soon as they are interested. On average, my children are between 12 and 18 months when they begin freely using the art materials. I have NEVER helped a child hold a crayon/marker/pencil/paintbrush. They learn grasping skills at a very young age and if they can hold it, move it to make a mark with it, however light that mark may be, then I allow them to do it. When they first begin using the materials we stay nearby, observing, facilitating and redirecting as needed to teach them the appropriate ways to use the materials....for instance, if they attempt to walk around with markers, we will direct them to sit down with the marker, or put it away....same with scissors, etc. They learn VERY early how to use the materials and as I said before there is ALWAYS at least one but usually a few kids at the writing/art table/area.

It is Emergent Curriculum. It is teaching children based on their interests and their emerging skills. It is acknowledging and honoring that children are quite capable of many things if they are given the opportunity to test out and build their skills.