Thread: Markers
View Single Post
mom2many 07:26 PM 09-11-2011
Originally Posted by Crystal:
Nanny:

I just wanted to post separately on another part of this.

I realize that there are safety issues with allowing children to have access to these materials. Because I realize those issues, I am HYPER aware of them and am very diligant about having someone directly supervising while children are playing and using materials.

Also, materials are at differing levels, so the littlest children cannot reach the scissors/collage/beads/etc. without an older child or adult getting them down and facilitating/supervising the activity. Those materials are within reach of the preschool aged children and they use them when they choose. At those times, the toddlers might join, and if so an adult supervises.

FTR, I have done it this way for 14 years, and I have never had an issue with it. And, my children are typically writing, without ever using a tracer sheet, by age 3, and writing well by age 4.
Crystal, you and I are on the same page with this! I have had children under 2 yo painting and also coloring with markers and crayons for many years without a single incident. They are closely supervised just as you explained. It is truly amazing watching these little ones dip their paint brushes meticulously into the paint and carefully apply it to their paper. I think people sell them short all too often on what they are capable of!

My supplies are kept out of reach of the younger ones and when it is time for them to participate in the activity, they are seated in their booster seats with paint shirts on & cannot get down until they are cleaned up. I think their favorite part is washing up in the big bowl of soapy bubbles! Even the 3 & 4 yo love this part too!

I closely monitor the markers of these younger ones as well. They learn quickly watching the older ones and get the idea of drawing with them and the same holds true for play dough. As soon as they show an interest, they are allowed the opportunity to participate, but never left unattended. It's an important aspect in the learning process.