View Single Post
Truly Scrumptious 02:23 PM 07-05-2012
New families interested in enrollment in my program have to go through a 3 Step Interview. The first interview is for parents only. It's after day care hours and can last anywhere from 2-3 hours. I have a guideline I use to make sure and discuss EVERY rule including fees and I make sure and give scenerios to help them fully understand. They are given a list of all paid/closed holidays and vacations, a short resume with references, an example of a monthly calendar, and an outline of the yearly themed curriculum I use. (Contracts and Policies are not even brought out at this time).
The second part of the interview is for the parents and the child during day care hours. It's for just relaxing and getting to know each other to see if we are a fit.
The third part of the interview is when we both have decided that enrollement is a good idea. Again the third interview is for parents only (I don't want any distractions). We sit down together and go over and sign Contracts and Policies.
This process gives parents plenty of time to think about everthing that they have seen and heard and decide if they agree with and will abide by all of the rules. I always remind parents that if they don't agree for any reason, then they should walk away, otherwise it will affect our relationship and they won't be here long.
It's important to make sure all information is given upfront so problems later on are less likely to happen.
So, however you decide to run your business is up to you. You set your fees, your hours, your time off etc....all providers are different. Parents can choose what works best for them.
But, parents don't have to the right to change rules when it suits them just because they want a particular provider to care for their child or because the other providers they had to choose from didn't measure up. (Parent's want the choice of: "Hey I pick you because your the best, but I don't really like or agree with all your rules. Oh, but I'm coming here for sure. So, I'll just be your worst nightmare for as long as you allow it....you see, I'm selfish like that").
Bottom line is this...My House (or Day Care) My Rules! I tell parents that I am the boss of my day care and that they are the boss of their child. As the boss of my day care, I make the rules and will not change them to suit parents..as the boss of their child, if they don't like the rules, they get to decide whether to stay or go, but they don't get to tell me what to do.