View Single Post
Unregistered 05:59 PM 08-28-2009
Hello all. My DD is enrolled at an independent home daycare (not a private corporation/franchise): $220/wk since 6 mos old. I provide breakfast, lunch, diapers/pull ups, and wipes. The day care provides 2 snacks. Uniforms were mandatory starting 18 mos.: $6.99 for screen printed logo t-shirt and $10.99 for screen printed logo gym shorts. My two year old is being promoted to the 3 year old class (potty trained (fairly consistent) and we will pay $180/wk. The uniform will consist of the "standard" uniform for the public schools in this area (peter pan collared shirt, skorts/pants or jumper - the sizes start at 2T).

After reading this, I am surprised that so many parents (or mothers) are shocked at the idea of uniforms at 2 years old. Based on my area, a large suburb near an East Coast metropolitan area, my experience seemed (note the past tense) to be the norm.

I would love to find a quality daycare that didn't cost an arm and a leg and provided the nurturing experience that my DD has had at this day care. At 2, she can count past 20, knows upper and lowercase letters, identifies animals, can communicate using very basic sign language, has been on field trips to the zoo, circus and a local civics program and is learning words by sight. In her new class she will also begin learning Spanish. Christmas party included Santa Claus and two elves. Easter party consisted of an Easter Bunny that scared most of the little ones (ha). Free picture opportunities during all special events. I am quite pleased with my DD's progress and find that the monetary sacrifice for food, supplies and uniforms is a minor inconvenience and less important that her good health and welfare.