View Single Post
cheerfuldom 07:39 AM 10-12-2013
Originally Posted by Mom2TLE:
I had a mom come in on Thurs and tell me DCB 6 months had not been sleeping well. She thought either a cold or teething so she brought in a bottle of Tylenol for me to give him to help him sleep. I told her I wasn't comfortable giving him something for the sole purpose of helping him sleep. I read this and am so glad I stood behind my morals and did not give it to him. You never know what reaction a child will have to any medication even after they have had it before.
What I am surprised about is the information cards and missing some and that this particular child's name was on another child's card. So many things could have gone wrong on so many levels because of this alone. She was over group size and ratios. This is so sad and my heart breaks for that mama that will never get to see her LO again.
I never give children any medication ever. Nothing outside of topical creams like a diaper rash cream. I do not administer medication even if the parent provides it. I found out one time that a parent was giving a child Tylenol before ever nap and bedtime....two or three times a day for months (a year?) before they happened to mention it to me. I definitely provided information regarding appropriate use of Tylenol. This child has severe delays now at 4 years old. I can't say what affect the constant medication might have had but it does make me wonder.....parents think Tylenol is a fix all for everything.