View Single Post
SunflowerMama 12:32 PM 06-21-2010
Originally Posted by Crystal:
Okay...I am looking at it and going to give a few ideas on how I would rearrange, of course it may be completely different than what you have in mind, but I'll try.

1. Can you move the pack n play into the living room space so and take it up and down as needed? My pack n plays go in my living area for nap and down after nap

2. I would move the kitchen set and shelving unit you have in your living room to the playroom....I would use te backside of the kitchen set as a "wall" and place the table and chairs or another piece of furniture behind it, to set up interest centers.

3. I would use the bookshelf in the playroom as a "wall" too, turning it away from the wall and placing the other shelf in the playroom (the one with bins/puzzles) behind it....then you'll have a reading nook - where I would add a rug, a couple of pillows, and behind it you'll have a manipulative area.

4. I would create as many "wall" spaces as possible with the furniture....turn them out into the room and break up the play spaces, organize them into interest areas....reading, math/science, blocks, dramatic play, etc. You'd be surprised, eve though this seems to use more space, how much it defines your area and makes it easier for children to play, keep things organized, etc. It is very functional and keeps the children from interrupting each other's play....resulting in less chaos.

5. In the playroom, after moving furnishings around, and making sure that's where they will stay, I'd really utilize the wall space.....small hanging cubbies for materials, hooks for dress up stuff, etc.

I would consider moving the sofa in your living room space away from the wall to separate the dining/living space, place a shelf behind the sofa for art supplies and use the dining area for art and sensory play. I would completely remove everything you have for the childcare from your living room space and make that just for family and possible tv time for the kids....then at the end of the day, even though stuff is behind you, you can sit in your living room without looking right at your work.

Okay, these are a few suggestions....I'm not sure if they will work for you, but it is what I would do....I'll try to post some pics of my playspace so you can get an isea of what I am talking about.....and I'll try to come up with moreideas....kinda hard just looking at pics....I could totally "play" with your space though!

I do have to say though, that it looks pretty good the way it is, but I totally get the feeling you have and it getting old sharing your living space with work....my old house was under 10000 square feet, and I had daycare with 14 kids there
Such great ideas!! I can't wait to play with everything once the kids are gone this evening!! Thanks so much!! And I would definitely love to see pictures of your area!!