View Single Post
Carole's Daycare 03:07 PM 01-19-2010
Almost always, in every state, contact the county social service center's main number, and they will transfer you to daycare licensing. All complaints land there, as do records of inspections and any corrections or non compliance found in said daycare. Be cautious of heresay, good or bad. In tough times competition can be cutthroat, and if the complaint is truly from a former client that complaint will be on record with the licensing agency as well as results from the investigation. I've been in daycare 8 ys, am married to a law enforcement professional and provide care for a child protection worker in my county. Nonetheless several years ago I had a disgruntled client over monetary issues that refused to pay bills on time and per contract start a rumour about poor quality of care in my home. I was heartbroken. Of course there was no "real " consequence as the rumour was unsubstantiated, while the record of their payment/lack of payment and communications regarding that problem were. Still, reputation is important to getting business in this profession, so make sure to consider the source in these situations. I've known a few providers that were very dedicated professionals be the victim of clients bent on revenge after a judgement for non-payment or being terminated for schedule or other policy issues. Many of us have horror stories about bad daycares. I do as well, which is why I chose to open my own when I had my second child. I personally would not mention the name of a specific daycare I heard of problems with. Its unprofessional. Instead I remind parents to always, always call the county #, which is provided on the mandated reporter form, to inquire about that daycare's history. I suggest certain things that may be important to them to inquire about, and I tell them to always drop in unexpectedly after interviews before starting care and in the initial weeks of care to make sure things are as they seem during the interview. Test them on certain safety policies, for example sending your best friend or mother in law to pick up the kids without notifying, to see what protocol she follows. Take a long break and drive by the yard to see what kind of supervision is in place, etc.