View Single Post
familyschoolcare 11:01 AM 01-21-2012
I do not htink God intended for two years old to learn much "academically. "

Two years old are very full of energy and curiosity.

You should not fell bad because your niece acts the way children her age are supposed to.

As for the "At her other care center they were doing numbers and letters colors by now." I worked at a center like that and the learning of numbers and letters in the two years old class was all for show. The children learned very little.

example: for circle time they had a shapes chart and the teacher had a nice little song the children memorized about each shape. They would sing the song the teacher would point to the shape as they sung the song. In a few weeks when parents picked up the children where able to point to the shapes and name them. The children could only do this in the order the shapes "appeared" in the song. When you randomly pointed to a shape and asked them what it's naem was they did not know.

I (someone with a degree in elementary education) does not condiser this learning. Some professionals say this is early leaning and makes it easeir for the children to learn the sahpes names when they are ready. I think that this kind of "playfull" learning, can not hurt. Provided that it is in balance with actualy playing time.

With all that said maybe you could try to find out what kind of learning your family wants for the little one.