View Single Post
Unregistered 01:53 PM 08-30-2012
i am a regulator in nc for daycare centers. after reading some of the posts, i feel obliged to correct some of the misinformation. first off, bleach is not very toxic at all if mixed in the proper strengths. for disinfectant use, i.e. changing tables, toilets, and the like, the solution should be 500-800 ppm. there is a simple recipe for this, basically 1/4 cup of regular strength household bleach to a gallon of water. for sanitizer, the bleach solution used on food contact surfaces, i.e. tables, counter tops, and dishes after they have been washed and rinsed, the recipe is 1 tablespoon per gallon of water. i have been regulating daycares for 22 yrs and have never known anyone to suffer ill affects of properly mixed disinfectant or sanitizer solutions. it is best to purchase test strips that you can check the strength of the solutions with, but the above recipe should get you close nearly every time. keep in mind on sanitizing solution, there is potential for residual buildup and the gallon container may have to rinsed of the chlorine solution ever so often.

hope this helps.