View Single Post
MarinaVanessa 11:34 AM 08-29-2010
I was just thinking about how I have a nephew that is almost 3 and doesn't say very much and I watch a little boy that just turned 1 and he says no, cat, dog, banana (nahnah) and a few other words. I chalked it up to my SIL not talking to him regularly and letting him grunt and point when he wants something. I watch my nephew as a drop-in a few times a month and each time he comes and stays with me during daycare hours I make him at least attempt to tell me what he wants before I give him anything.

For example: He'll grunt and point to the fridge.
Me: "Are you hungry? (several times because he keeps grunting and pointing)
Him: (shakes his head no)
Me: "You're not hungry? No? No? Not hungry? (while I shake my head)
Him: shaking head and eventually says "No"
Me: "Are you thirsty? (and make the sign for drink) Do you want something to drink?"
Him: (Shakes his head yes and points to fridge and grunts)
Me: "Are you thirsty?" keep repeating myself "Do you want something to drink? Drink?"
Him: (Nods head and finally says something close to drink)
Me: Now I open the fridge and let him see what we have "Juice? Do you want juice?" (repeat myself until he says no) "Water? Do you want water?" (repeat myself until he says no) "Milk? Do you want milk?" Repeat myself until he nods his head) "Yes? You want milk? Yes? (repeat myself until he says both yes and milk) Then I finally take what he wants out and give it to him and a lot of praise.

I have to say that each day that he spends with me he says at least 2 new words. It's really quite sad. Not saying that the child you are watching doesn't have a speach problem but hopefully it's just that he hasn't had the need to talk before. Try making him work for his wants and needs and at least try to say easy words. If you try this and it doesn't seem to work then you probably do have an actual speach problem. Good luck.