Thread: Sippy-Cups
View Single Post
rhymia1 10:24 AM 07-07-2011
Originally Posted by squareone:
Bottles and sippy cups at appropriate feeding/meal times are not the real problem. One problem is that many children are allowed to carry a bottle/sippy cup with them all day every day including bed time and nap time. The other problem is what the parents put IN the sippy cup. Sippy cups and bottles, like many other convenience items, have to be used responsibly. If you feel your child MUST carry around a sippy cup, then it should be filled with water unless it is a designated meal time.

I think that once a child is walking, bottles and sippys should be limited to meal/snack times and water breaks. Here, all food and drink is restricted to the kitchen - no exceptions. We transition to a regular cup at 18 months.
This.
The only thing DCK's drink in my house is skim milk at meals and water for all snacks (per CACFP rules), no one ever has a cup away from the table.

That said, I'm in NY and I haven't heard anything about it. I really wish they would do more to educate parents about proper child nutrition instead of passing silly laws.