View Single Post
Unregistered 09:42 AM 04-25-2012
first of all, I'm a regular, but I am logged out for privacy this time. You other regulars will probably recognize me anyway.

Ok, so my first post was last June about a 4 year old boy I have who was having 5+ temper tantrums a day. The word "NO" to him means "I should scream, cry, and through myself around".

It's almost a year later, and he turns five in May. Nothing has changed.

Here's an example of today:

Hey, DCB, would you like to earn a lollipop?

(no, I don't normally use food as incentive, but I needed something done, and have 2 lollipops left from Easter...so I thought it would be fun).

YEAH! eyes light up...

Ok...clean up the playroom for me (toddlers left a mess), and you will be paid in lollipops!

"Do you want help?" (I have 2 lollipops and he has a 3 year old sister). "No"

2 minutes later...."I want help"

"Ok...dcg...if you help your brother, you can earn a lollipop too!" yeah....

"NO I DONT WANT HELP!!!!!!!"

Now, it's been 15 minutes and DCG cleaned up everything while he screamed. So...dcg earned a lollipop, and he gets NUTHIN. He is still screaming I WANT A LOLLIPOP!

REALLY?

he is almost 5!

I need to make this summer as pleasant as possible for all of us (and terminated is NOT an option...there are 4 kids and they come 4 days a week over the summer for the 5 day price).

My kids, his sibs, my husband, and I are SICK TO DEATH of this behavior. I know someone must be caving at home, because there is just no payoff here. I suspect he has a tantrum, then when he is done, comes all contrite, and they give him what he wants.

He can stop these tantrums on a dime, folks. He is not out of control. He is totally in control. If I said "hey...there's a dinosaur" (or your dad, or a chocolate cake) he would stop. I've seen him do it countless times.

So....how do we make the summer tolerable? It's off to school in the fall.