View Single Post
Blackcat31 12:46 PM 08-02-2012
Lying about things is a pretty normal thing for kids around age 4. They are just getting a firm grasp on reality, make believe and fantasy.

I wouldn't necessarily term because of the child making things up, but may consider terming depending on how mom reacts or takes the lies....kwim?

If the mom is believing her child versus you, there will NEVER be that level of trust needed to have a good solid relationship with this family and I would term for sure.

If mom is simply telling you for the sake of letting you know what child has been saying but isn't at all "double checking" or questioning your actions, I would have a discussion with daycare child AND parent at the same time about lying and why it isn't ok and what kinds of things can happen if you continue to tell tall tales.

Mom's behavior/actions would be the deciding factor for me in regards to terming or not.

I have a 4 year old who lies frequently about about a lot of things but because his mom and I have a trusting relationship, whenever he says anything not true, I will say "Well, let's tell mom when she gets here and see what she thinks" and the child will usually fess up that his story was made-up.

It helps that he can see mom and I are on the same page and there is no opportunity for him to "play" either one of us.