View Single Post
My3cents 11:38 AM 11-13-2013
Originally Posted by Cradle2crayons:
My daycare kids and my own personal kids only get drinks and food at meals and snacks. UNLESS it's hot outside, then they get water outside and after we come inside etc.

In kindy they don't have a cup full of water at their disposal all day. And really, they don't need 100 oz of liquid all day either.

I think it's awesome that you are sure yours get enough fluid, but personally it has been recommended to me that kids need boundaries, even with food and drink. Here's a time for it and a time they don't get it.

Recommended fluid total intake a day for a healthy child is approximately 44 oz total per day. That includes water found in the food they eat, as well as water in heir milk etc. our pediatrician recommends milk for meals and water for snacks with plain water intake of 8-12 oz per day. Unless they are sick, etc. they get 8-12 oz of water at snack times so no extra is needed unless it's hot outside or they are sick. Also, my son, if he gets too much water, simply won't eat.

If I had a cup sitting around for every child I'd have a germ fest. I'd spend all day keeping x cup away from y and oh no, did I turn my back and another kid slobbered on y cup. Not to mention spills etc. I think it just teaches them instant gratification and they don't have to wait for anything.

But kudos to those who do that though!!
I agree, but if a child told me they were thirsty I would give them water- No it is not out all the time and for the same reasons above.