View Single Post
JenNJ 06:17 AM 02-05-2013
I don't serve grapes at all. Or hot dogs. Just not worth the risk to me.

But my son is 6.5, my daughter 4 and I still cut there grapes and hot dogs. It takes me a minute and may prevent a tragic accident.

I can understand 100% why the dcd was surprised and prefers it be cut. Honestly I would be too. There is a list of foods I do NOT serve simply because they pose a choking hazard.

From the AAP website:
"Hot dogs are the food most commonly associated with fatal choking among children.12 A hot dog shares the physical characteristics described above for high-risk toys. It is cylindrical, airway sized, and compressible, which allows it to wedge tightly into a child's hypopharynx and completely occlude the airway. Other high-risk foods include hard candy, peanuts/nuts, seeds, whole grapes, raw carrots, apples, popcorn, chunks of peanut butter, marshmallows, chewing gum, and sausages. 12 Many of these foods, such as round candy, grapes, marshmallows, and meat sticks/sausages, share the same high-risk physical characteristics that create effective plugs for the pediatric airway. Similar to latex balloons, peanut butter can conform to the airway and form a tenacious seal that is difficult to dislodge or extract."

http://pediatrics.aappublications.or...125/3/601.full