Thread: Refusing Nap
View Single Post
Heidi 05:49 AM 03-26-2012
Originally Posted by Preschool/daycare teacher:
Thanks for the reply. The arrangement may not be the best, but it's the best we've been able to come up with, and it works for everyone else excpet the one little girl (they all go to sleep just fine, except her). The owner can't really help it; it's a home daycare, so she can't just find another building for it There's only two rooms, and they are connected without so much as even a door (that 2nd room is the play room, and lots of light comes into it so we can't put her in there, but I do like your suggestion of trying to seperate her from the others. maybe we can put her cot in the hallway? It's connected to the room everyone else sleeps in, so there's still supervision).
We don't have school agers right now, just 2 1/2 - 5 yr olds (I was talking about at one time when we had school agers and we tried letting them get up at nap time; it just didn't work. When we decided to have them lay down too, they were fine with it and we provided quiet activities on their cots, although they usually were the first to fall asleep, so it wasn't forced on them).
We cannot let this little girl get up during nap (or have quiet activities on her cot), although I really wish we could. It would only create even more problems. 1st, she will NOT be quiet, so she would end up back on her cot, which would mean a loud, screaming, kicking fit. 2nd, if the others found out one child got to get up at nap time they would never go to sleep again (what child would, if they think they can stay up and play if they don't let their little bodies fall asleep?), and 3rd, this little girl needs a nap. Her behavior is AWFUL in the afternoon when she doesn't let herself go to sleep, but is fine when she does.
We don't have enough children left in the afternoons (only 4-6 at most) for myself and the owner both to stay after everyone goes to sleep, so one of us always leaves.
Any other ideas, anyone? Thanks again, bbo. If you think of anymore suggestions, please let me know
Ok...Ive got a better picture now!

How about if you put her in the hallway, and set a timer that she can see. Then, tell her if she lays quietly until the timer goes off, you will give her this...(a book, or a basket with quiet activities). She can "earn" the right to use the toys by being quiet for a half hour (or however long you think it will take her to fall asleep if she just lays still...lol).

My 3 1/2 yo dcg like it when I build her "forts", too. Even one of those bed-tents would work, or any kind of indoor tent type thing. I'd present it as a cool thing, when in reality, it will help her define her space. You could set it up in the hallway to help with the supervision aspect.

I really think you can do this with her in a cooperative way. She's 3 1/2 right? Her verbal skills should be good enough that you can say "missy...I know you have been having some trouble falling asleep at nap time. When you don't get good rest, then you have a hard time in the afternoon because your body is tired. Let's try to figure some ways we can help you get good rest, ok? Here's what we're going to do...."